aa

15 May 2011

Tell us the three books you most often recommend to others.

For me the top two are easy to decide:


The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Niffenegger's writing is somewhat mesmerizing. She was able to make me believe in the possibility of a "chrono displacement" disorder that could cause people to travel through time. I read it, read it again, told my best friend and brothers to read it. I gave my hubby and audio copy to listen to on his way to 
and from work. I couldn't wait for the film to be made. 


One Day by David Nicholls
I don't love love stories really. However, Nicholls' way of writing this book by looking at one particular day every day over a period of twenty years was brilliant. Dex and Em, Em and Dex; they just belonged together.


My third most recommended book would probably be (since late April 2010) 
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley.


Prior to that date and still, at times, the other possibility would be an author 
and not a particular title.


I would recommend Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series or his Nursery Crime series depending on whether one was looking for a laugh with some cultural 
and literary references or just a laugh.


What are the books or authors you find you recommend the most?

4 comments:

  1. There's only one book I that I recommend to others unsolicited, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and It's all Small Stuff". It's by far my favorite to date.

    I only recommend other books if asked.

    I'm looking forward to seeing the comments that come in on this post

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about:

    1. The Prizewinner of Defiance Ohio by Terry Ryan

    2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

    and

    3. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

    I can never narrow down to just three but those are the three that came to the top of my mind when I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, RHP, I have a "Small Stuff" book somewhere. I began it a couple years ago and had a plan to read one small section each week. I'll have to find where it is since our move back across the Atlantic and begin reading it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belle,

    I LOVE The Prize Winner of Defiance, OH! Have you seen the film? We love that too!!

    ReplyDelete

free counters